Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hawaiian Style Blueberry Macadamia Nut Pancakes with Secret Sauce

Pondering life on Gorgeous Lanikai Beach
I've visited some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, but my favorite will always be a little hidden gem on my home island of Oahu.  One of the reasons I love it is because it's a secret beach.  (My apologies to the locals who might be a tad nervous about me sharing this information, but it's so beautiful it should be shared.  Plus, I just saw it listed in "1000 Places to Visit Before You Die" so, sorry everyone, cat's out of the bag).  

If you continue past Kailua Beach, you will enter a very small residential area called...Lanikai.  Ahhhhhh. The name alone brings a  smile to my face.  

So anytime I'm on Oahu, of course I make time for relaxing and catching up on reading at Lanikai ("The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin is my book of choice at the moment.  I also have 6 half-read books sitting on my nightstand but that's another story).  And to make the experience even more spectacular, on my way, I always stop at the Boots and Kimo's in Kailua, another hidden gem that can also be a tad difficult to find.  Not only do they have the best Macadamia Nut Pancakes on the island, Boots and Kimo's could be the coolest name for a restaurant ever.


I just love to say Boots and Kimo's
Boots and Kimo's is the hands-down winner of the best pancakes on the island.  (They seriously win Honolulu's Best Pancake Awards annually; surprisingly, I'm not just making this up).  So while the menu is extensive, it's not too difficult to figure out that my order will somehow involve pancakes.  And since they're famous for their Macadamia Nut Pancakes, at least one order of these always find their way to our table.  
Blueberry Macadamia Nut Pancakes with Secret Sauce

Now I bet you're thinking, "Uh thanks lady, pancakes with macadamia nuts, whoopee", but let me tell you, these aren't just any old pancakes.  Oh no.  These pancakes are special.  Why?  Because they contain a Secret Ingredient.

The pancakes themselves are lovely--light, fluffy, buttery--everything a pancake should be.  But it's the sauce that sets it apart.  It's just a rumor, but supposedly, the sauce is made of melted macadamia nut ice cream.  Wow.  Just let the weight of that statement sink in for a minute.  A triple stack of wonderful pancakes dripping in creamy, frothy, melted macadamia nut ice cream is pure yumminess.

And adding to the deliciousness, blueberries!  Yay for Today's Special!
For your clarification, my helpful mom conveniently
points to the pancakes.

Here's the thing, I don't even care if the rumor is true.  These pancakes are so delicious, the 30 minute plus wait time is absolutely worth it (they don't accept reservations so cross your fingers that it's not a crazy busy day).
The crew ready to chow in the super fun 
football-themed restaurant

On a side note, a few years ago, we ran into a few secret service men--easily spotted by their earpieces-- hanging around the restaurant, trying to blend in (a note: bright red shirts covered in giant hibiscuses and cursive ALOHA's might make you stand out a bit).  President Obama tends to stay in this area when he vacations in Hawaii, so we jumped to the conclusion that he must have placed an order.   I have no idea this is true, but don't you just love the idea of the Leader of the Free World taking a call with the Kremlin, while munching on Boots and Kimo's Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

Boots and Kimo's
151 Hekili St
Kailua, HI 96734
(808) 263-7929

2 comments:

  1. We went there twice 2 weeks ago on our last visit! yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Kanani! I flipping love those silly pancakes, I wanted to take some to go.

    ReplyDelete