Thursday, September 22, 2011

Peanut Butter Stuffed Hawaiian Sweet Bread French Toast with Bananas and Walnuts

So breakfast is my absolute faaaaavorite meal of the day.  And I'm always looking for ways to "dessertify" (yes I make up my own words) any food, but especially anything remotely related to the breakfast category (cue my constant debate with co-worker Burton about whether Blueberry Muffins are dessert or breakfast.  Burton, for the last time, they're breakfast-dessertish.  Obviously).
My Little Cooking Fairy
A shout out to Cafe 123 in San Diego, CA for the inspiration of this next insanely tasty breakfast treat.  They had a strong opening act--warmed up the audience a bit, if you will--but I like to think I brought the house down.  Heyo!

The nice thing about The Peanut Butter Stuffed Hawaiian Sweet Bread French Toast with Walnuts and Bananas is that though it's a mouthful to say, they're relatively fast and easy to make.

One caveat before we begin: I highly, highly recommend hiring a Little Cooking Fairy.  They're not just the best helpers on earth, they're pretty adorable, too.  And they're happy to get paid in French Toast.  

So here's what you'll need (this is the closest thing you'll ever get to a recipe from me, so please pay attention, Jenny and Kailey's mom).



- 1 Loaf of King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread (I also love Ani's from Long's in Hawaii and Big Island Punalu'u Sweet Bread but those may be a tad more difficult to source)
- Light Soy milk (fine, you can use fattening regular milk but I do live in LA so there you go)
- Eggs (brown and organic are best.  Just kidding, I think I got some on sale.)
- Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract
- Bananas
- Walnuts, chopped (or smashed depending on the skill level of your Little Cooking Fairy)
- Peanut Butter (the more creamy and processed and less natural, the better.  That one's for you, Ryan Lau.)

Step 1: Make your french toast batter.  I made breakfast for the whole family (5) so I cracked 10 eggs, then mixed in about 2 cups of soy milk and gave it to the Cooking Fairy to mix (not letting the fairy crack the eggs is crucial, just trust me on this).  I then sprinkled about 2 tablespoons of cinnamon and maybe 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.  I'll be honest, I kinda winged in.  But it turned out ok.  Just have fun out there, people.
Dipping Time!

Step 2: Dip your Hawaiian Sweet Bread slice in the funky batter.

Nicely cooked on both sides
Step 3: Place the dipped bread onto a hot frying pan (I turned the burner to Medium), already coated in Pam (or butter.  Again I live in LA so I'm trying to make these as healthy as possible.  Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous).  Flip when ready, about 2 minutes on each side until they're cooked all the way through.  I suggest doing two at a time since you'll need 2 for each creation.

Step 4: Place 1 slice of French Toast on a plate. Coat the top in a thick, luscious, rich, delectable, delicious layer of peanut butter (sorry I got a bit carried away).  Coat the bottom of a 2nd slice of French Toast with an equally amazing layer of peanut butter.

Yay for Peanut Butter!

Think of it as a fried peanut butter sandwich but it's healthy
because it includes bananas and walnuts.
 Step 5: Place the second slice of French Toast on top of the first slice, like a peanut butter sandwich.  Cover with sliced bananas and destroyed walnut bits.  Et voila, The Peanut Butter Stuffed Hawaiian Sweet Bread French Toast with Walnuts and Bananas.
Add a little bit of maple syrup...

Holy peanut butter yumminess
They were soooo yummy.  The sweetness of the Hawaiian bread plus the creaminess of the peanut butter combined with the fresh bananas and crunchiness of the walnuts was the perfect combination of tastes and textures.  Oh boy I love these.  If you'll excuse me, I think I'll go make some right now...

This picture has nothing to do with anything,
I just can't stand how flippin cute she is.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete