Tuesday, September 27, 2011

C is for Cookie

Cookie Monster, you're in for a treat.  As an experienced and longtime Cookie Fan, I can honestly say I have never seen, heard or most importantly, tasted anything as unique as these fun little cookies I just happened to run into at the OB Jazz Fest. 

Peanut Butter Overload Extravaganza.  Love this name
(I may have added the "Extravaganza")
I love Fests, in general.  But a Jazz Fest?  Double love.  So when my sister Aulani told me about the Ocean Beach Jazz Fest in San Diego, I got a bit excited.  Shutting down Newport for an all-day street closure featuring the top jazz bands in socal?  In! 

What we (and when I say we, I mean Aulani) didn't realize, is that not only was there amazing music, this fest featured gourmet food tents, too!  
Me: Aww so there's no food?  
Aulani: Nope, no food.  
And then we turned the corner and saw 80,000 food tents.
Tent after tent of arts, crafts, and oh, food...

I, of course, noticed the Cookie Tent right away.  But everyone wanted to listen to this band that was about to start, so fine, I went to The Harp, one of the many jazzy venues of the day.  And I'm glad I did because I would have missed out on my new favorite jazz band, the Nathan James Trio.  Love!
The Nathan James Trio--not sure what I love more--
their hats or the little washboard guitar!

But I was still thinking about cookies.

And I may have told everyone I was thinking about cookies.

So.  We went to find the cookies. :)
An awesome New Orleans-style jazz band
sashaying down Newport 
What we didn't realize at the time was that we were about to experience Cookie History.  These were not just your average cookies.  These were the most unique and innovative cookies in the history of cookies.

Me infiltrating the Cravory Cookie tent
The geniuses at The Cravory have actually created 950 customized cookies, all of which are available online and at little fairs.  Allow me to highlight a few of my favorites...

Red Velvet and Birthday Cake
Rosemary Balsamic.  Because why not?

And here the crown jewel, (drum roll please...)
Pancake & Bacon Cookies!
Consensus: they were very...interesting. 
All of them were pretty amazing (we tried about 6 different treats).  Perhaps not surprisingly, my favorite was Peanut Butter Overload.  Why?  See if this doesn't move you: Organic Peanut Butter Dough with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Reese's Chips and Guittard Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips.  Holy peanuty heaven.

I quickly designated myself as the Cookie Keeper.  This responsibility involved guarding the cookies and generously doling them throughout the day as we listened to amazing band after amazing band.  All in all, an incredible day made even better by the discovery of some of the most special cookies on earth.
Aulani fully enjoying her Peanut Butter Overload.
Speaking of sharing, I leave you with one parting thought from the master himself: "Sometimes me think what is love, and then me think love is what last cookie is for.  Me give up the last cookie for you."   As if I didn't already love Cookie Monster.

http://www.thecravory.com/

1 comment:

  1. Okay I cried when I read the cookie monster quote... almost as much as I cried when our bag of cookies was empty :-(
    -Aulani

    ReplyDelete