Sunday, January 15, 2012

Not Your Mother's Chocolate Pudding

Chocolate lovers, prepare to be wowed.
Just one of the great things about having a dessert blog: when people find out about it, they feel challenged to introduce you to the most amazing dessert they know, especially if I'm visiting their territory.  


In addition, as a natural instigator (some may say it's a gift), I like to add fuel to the fire; it always makes life more interesting. "So listen, no pressure but I have a dessert blog so if we don't have the most incredible dessert ever, it might affect our friendship.  But don't worry, I'm sure you'll choose well."  (Yep, I'm a stinker).


Such was the case with this next little gem. I recently had meetings in the adorable Lafayette, CA, which is located in the East Bay, about 30 minutes from the San Francisco Airport.  Quaint and charming, it's the type of small town where a life-sized gingerbread house would blend in well.
The incredibly charming restaurant.  Perhaps you can get a sense
of how ridiculously cute the rest of the town is.  I half expected a

hobbit to start skipping out the door.


We had dinner at the fabulous Postino, an old post office converted into a cozy Italian restaurant (excellent choice, Anthony).  The real food was delicious, but of course I was ready to dive into the desserts.  I'm always on the lookout of the most unusual dessert, so it's easy to see why this one caught my eye: Not Your Mother's Chocolate Pudding.  And then the description: CHOCOLATE...blah blah...TRUFFLE.  (I'm a sucker for anything truffle).  Done. 


This one was calling my name.


When it arrived, I thought, well of course you're cute.  Just like everything else in this flipping adorable town.
Not enough chocolate, they thought.  Maybe if we add chocolate chip cookies,
she'll go out of her mind.  Mission Accomplished, Postino.
Creamy milk chocolate pudding mixed with rich dark chocolate truffle, topped with a dense white chocolate whipped cream and sprinkled with tiny crunchy malt balls, this chocolate pudding was like no other.  Perfectly chilled, it also arrived with two bite-sized chocolate chip cookies.  Yum.


The next day, I arrived at the office, ready for a long day of meetings.  Being the clever people they are, my colleagues decided to help the day go faster.  And what helps you get through a long day of meetings?  Why, a plate full of scrumptious cupcakes, of course!  (Thanks Katie, you're a superstar!)


Smores, Red Velvet and Coconut were my favorites.

Postino
3565 Mt. Diablo Boulevard
Lafayette, California 94549
925-299-8700
www.postinorestaurant.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment